Re: Re: Too Scary...

From: Robert Harley (Robert.Harley@inria.fr)
Date: Tue Sep 19 2000 - 12:16:49 PDT

cdale@silly.techmonkeys.net wrote:
>It's funny that you say Mandrake is more up to date than Red Hat. Not
>starting a flavor war here, but Mandrake takes RH's beta, wraps their
>installer around it, does a big s/Red Hat/Mandrake on the whole shebang
>and ships it out the door before Red Hat's release.

Sorry Cindy, but that's "not quite accurate".

For a start what does Red Hat do? Did they write all of Linux from
scratch? Hell no. They take bits and pieces wherever they find them,
write a few warez thamselves, fit them together, fix some bugs and
wrap the lot up in packages. Pretty similar to any other
distribution, including Mandrake.

When Mandrake first forked off from Red Hat, what you say above was
roughly true although it was already more complete since it included
KDE while Red Hat was playing the bleeding-heart, holier-than-thou
game of "we won't ship with KDE 'cause it's not kosher".

Since then Mandrake incorporated, hired a bunch of people, set up
thriving devel-lists and projects like Lothar and Cooker, stopped
following Red Hat, and did a couple of high quality releases of their own.
But you knew that, right?

BTW, I use Red Hat.
I installed Mandrake on my Dad's Sony portable (real easy install).

C ya,
  Rob.
     .-. .-.
             `-' Robert.Harley@inria.fr `-'