Re: laptop recommendations...

From: Wayne E Baisley (baisley@alumni.rice.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 20 2000 - 13:56:07 PDT

Matt Crawford at Fermilab reports:

I'm dual-booting Win98 and FreeBSD4.0 on my Sony Vaio Z505, and <Mark>
is dual-booting Win2000 and Linux on his. No big problems. I think
FreeBSD is a little ahead of Linux on USB support right now (outboard
mouse, etc) but both work the sound and pccard slot and all that
stuff. Neither Linux nor FreeBSD are likely to be able any time soon
to run the half-a-modem found in this and many other laptops.

At IETF it was Vaios as far as you could see, a large number of them
running Linux/FreeBSD/NetBSD.

> Sony Vaio Superslim Z505JSK (3.75 lb)

Hm, must have put on a bit of weight since my model -- it's only
3.3 lb with the standard battery.

Cheers,
Wayne