Re: Baby-making

From: cdale@silly.techmonkeys.net
Date: Wed Sep 20 2000 - 16:10:43 PDT

<tinyflame>

On Wed, 20 Sep 2000, Eugene Leitl wrote:

> cdale@silly.techmonkeys.net writes:
> > Dumb kids? heh. I think not. I've known many vegan families, and their
> > children are usually above average in all ways detectable. Why, I even
>
> Can you spell "anecdotal evidence"? Did you ran an IQ test on them? On
> all your vegan friends' kids? Did you remove any possible bias (I
> doubt you know many stupid people), and blinded the sample?

Anecdotal evidence, as you call it, is the most convincing of all to me.
If I experience something, it becomes real to me. No, I didn't run IQ
tests on them, but I think I can tell if a kid is pretty damned smart or
not. And no, I didn't walk around with a bias in my head. I just saw
what I saw. And you are very wrong when you doubt I know many stupid
people. I know plenty. And most of them think they are superior to the
rest of the human race. Kind of like you. (:

> > know one family whose pets are all vegan, and the pets are just fine as
> > well. (: One thing I learned about vegans, living and travelling with
>
> Of course, it was perfectly obvious that all was well by just looking
> at them. And you're sure that dogs and cats did not supplement their
> diet with a little extra protein on the side?

Oh yes, I'm sure. I did read Winnie the Pooh when I was a kid, but,
unlike you, I stopped believing that animals could prepare their own meals
and think of supplementing them, ohhh, back in second grade, maybe. (:
The reason I know these animals were doing just fine is because they acted
just fine: plenty of energy, no health problems, good temperament, etc.
Another bit of anecdotal evidence.

> > them, is that they are extremely conscious of their diets, making sure to
> > supplement their diets with all the things that provide protein, iron,
> > etc, that their bodies need. I'd like to suggest that you not quote such
>
> Point is, it's much, much easier to screw up on a vegan diet, falling
> off into malnutrition (notice that being vegan correlates with
> thinking fasting is a good thing). Brittleness is a good property in a
> scientific theory, but not in most other places.

Sure it's easier to screw up. Doesn't mean they're going to. A unix
server is easier to screw up than a MS one. Does that mean we shouldn't
use unix servers? (:

> > idiotic things as "Notice that many vegans raise dumb kids due to
> > deficits in some essentials (Lamarck's revenge on Darwin)." It makes YOU
> > sound dumb, and you are obviously a carnivore. (: Notice that Kragen was
>
> No, I'm using a diet I've been designed for. Pure animal protein diet
> is about as stupid as pure vegan.

Then that's what I'm betting you're munching on. How do you know what you
were designed to eat? If you're so designed to eat a certain thing, what
evidence do you have of that? Your canine teeth? Your opposable thumbs?
What makes you so sure you were designed to eat pork? Beef? Chicken?
Salt? All those things can KILL you, man. Have another cigarette while
you're at it.

> > talking about vegetarians, and NOT vegans. Yes, there is a difference. I
>
> I know what Kragen was talking about, but I was talking about vegans.

Yes, that's pretty obvious. Duh. (:

> > agree that many vegetarians have vitamin/mineral deficiencies, but I
> > suspect that this is due to one of 2 things: 1. Meat and other foods which
> > provide all the necessary nutrients are not available. or 2. Being a
>
> I wasn't referring to people who can't get animal protein, I was
> referring to those who won't tho' they could.

If you're so worried about it, you should go down and pass out flyers
about how to eat healthy as a vegan downtown in SF or something. The
point is that vegan children are NOT dumb. And what's better, they're
much less likely to wish a whole group of people dead because of what they
eat. (: Of course they don't have to, as we are all killing ourselves
with saturated fat, alcohol, tobacco, etc. (:

> > vegetarian has become a fad, though information about how to make sure
> > you're getting all the nutrients you need is scarce. Beans is the trick.
>
> I still think the gene pool could use some chlorine ;P

I agree, and, what's more, I think they should pour the bottle right on
top of your closed-minded head.
</tinyflame>

In all seriousness, I am not a vegetarian, nor a vegan. However, it gets
under my skin to watch someone talk about how superior he thinks he is to
other people who happen to subscribe to a different dietary plan than he.
If anything is dumb, that is.