RE: OMG's ninth life: SOAP

From: Patrick Thompson (
Date: Mon Sep 25 2000 - 09:43:28 PDT

A discussion paper describing an approach to CORBA/SOAP integration
is available from
The goal is to specify a bi-directional approach as well as a
one-way bridging approach (similar to Rogue Wave's XML-CORBA Link

Initial submissions are due in December.

Patrick Thompson
Rogue Wave Software

-----Original Message----- From: [] Sent: Monday, September 25, 2000 4:54 AM To: Subject: Re: OMG's ninth life: SOAP

Rohit Khare said:

> 09/22/00, 9:00 a.m. EDT--The Object Management Group (OMG) finished > its most recent Technical Meeting Week in early September. Among many > other things, the very busy standards organization addressed > integration of CORBA and SOAP.

Good news.

All I can see on the OMG site tho' is a CORBA/SOAP RFP, ie. CORBA *over* SOAP; or "support of CORBA semantics over SOAP [to] enable native SOAP clients to access CORBA services", which isn't exactly 2 way...

I also see there's an RFP for a WMLScript IDL mapping. That is simply psychotic. ;)

> The PTC also looked at such things as efforts to standardize methods > to transmit CORBA network packets through firewalls [...]

oops. cleaning up after my mess I guess, ;)