RE: Software directions to ponder over...

From: Koen Holtman (koen@hep.caltech.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 25 2000 - 16:15:10 PDT

On Mon, 25 Sep 2000, Jim Whitehead wrote:

> Yes, software development has far to go. On the other hand, I can think of
> few examples where it is possible to purchase a product that contains
> person-centuries of product development for around $100.

Lots and lots of products have person-centuries of development behind
them. Starting with many agricultural products...

Of course, person-centuries of product development as a monolithic piece
of intellectual property owned by a single commercial entity is another
matter. That would have been rare in the middle ages.

Anyway, the question of whether software will turn into a science is about
as relevant as the question of whether architecture will turn into a
science.

Koen.