Re: The Waiting is the hardest part

From: Kragen Sitaker (
Date: Mon Sep 25 2000 - 16:31:35 PDT

Mark Day reasonably asks:
> Yeah, and if pigs had wings they could fly. ;-)
> Can someone explain to me how this free-info-sharing stuff scales?
> Everything I read about it has the breathless, technically-incoherent,
> borderline-loony quality I associate with perpetual-motion machines, cold
> fusion, and the like.
> Is there some really awesome systems paper I can go read where Ian Clarke
> (or someone else) explains how they solved or redefined the hard problems of
> big distributed systems? Or is it the baloney that it appears to be?

See (Ian's thesis)

The short answer is that they aren't solving all the problems of big
distributed systems. In particular, they haven't solved naming.
They've done a decent job of solving distributed storage and
publishing, I think, although that's an ivory-tower opinion --- I
haven't actually used the stuff. It looks like it should scale pretty
well, albeit not perfectly.

Perhaps we should refer to Tom 3:16 for the straight shit. Lay it out,

<>       Kragen Sitaker     <>
Perilous to all of us are the devices of an art deeper than we ourselves
                -- Gandalf the Grey [J.R.R. Tolkien, "Lord of the Rings"]