Re: WAP White Paper

From: rbfar@ebuilt.com
Date: Tue Sep 26 2000 - 09:37:50 PDT

Damien:

Thank you for the input. I agree with most of what you've said.

However, I do think that there will be many clients in the future and that there will be a range of clients from phones to PDA's to your oven to your PC. What I was trying to outline in the paper is a method to distinguish the independent variables which compose the way a user interacts with a device. I don't think there is any magic or even a great amount of art in interacting with machines. We open communication channels by seeing, touching, saying, etc.

Though the method I've pointed out is crude, I think it's important to recognize that:
    1. The interaction between a human being and a machine interface can be quantified (at least by a reasonable approximation)
    2. There will be many clients to content that will live on "The Network".
    3. We need a system to measure interactions between the user and the clients which present the data in the network.

I do agree with you that the devices will change. The interface to a lot of these devices will become voice driven. Current clients to the information living on "The Network" will become more advanced, thereby allowing for more "communication channels" to the user. At the same time, many devices will begin to interact with the network and present an interface to the user ( such as your refrigerator :-) ). I think that There will always be a range of devices in the user interface capabilities offered. It's just that the devices themselves will change. Somewhere, on some device, there will always be bandwidth limitations, display limitations, cpu limitations, etc.