RE: human cloning

From: Lisa Dusseault (lisa@xythos.com)
Date: Thu Sep 28 2000 - 08:25:53 PDT

I'm extrapolating a little, but it seems the objection here is that the
availability of cloning might make parents more likely to choose abortion.
Is that it? If so, it's an objection to abortion, not to cloning. A
rational person with this position would expend energy opposing abortion,
not cloning.

Seems to me that cloning could even be used to justify abortion among
those who would not normally approve. "We're not really aborting Junior,
we're setting his genes aside until we're prepared to offer a proper home
and loving, mature parenting."

Of course that skirts the issue of whether the cloned baby is the "same"
as the original one would have been.