Tropus

From: Tom Whore (tomwhore@inetarena.com)
Date: Wed Oct 04 2000 - 14:57:50 PDT

http://tropus.sourceforge.net/

Tropus is yet another distributed file-sharing program,
designed primarily for music. Why bother? Because Tropus
uses the much-discussed Freenet datastore, which should give it excellent
anonymity and scalability.

The first major goal of the Tropus project is to deliver
"Napster with anonymity, by Christmas 2000". Freenet
already provides the critical networking and security functions,
so all we really need to do is put a nice wrapper around it.
The hard part is that we'd like it to be friendly and
stable enough to be used on the same scale as Napster --
tens of millions of users.

Even if we manage to hit our goal, it's difficult to say
what Tropus will achieve. Since the code needs to be very
simple, it will be easy for others to duplicate our
efforts once we're done. Perhaps Tropus will become the seed for
a larger project, or perhaps we'll simply convince other
file-sharing software systems to standardize on Freenet.

No matter. Each of the developers has their own set of
reasons for helping the project, but we probably share
a few things in common. We want to improve our knowledge of
the underlying technological issues. We want to write a
program that does something interesting. Coders are like
that.

Note (added 2 Oct 2000): A recent news item on the Freenet
page implied that you need to know Java to be a Tropus
developer. Right now we are focused on writing up good
specs, so we have not settled on any one language.

For the moment, information about Tropus is mostly on
our project page, at the Sourceforge software foundry.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/tropus Whether you're a developer or user,
please fill out our first survey.

http://sourceforge.net/survey/survey.php?group_id=11610&survey_id=10904
Feel free to join the preliminary discussions about Tropus, on our mailing
list.

http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=11610