Re: minimalist philosophy for jb

From: David Crook (dcrook@commwerks.com)
Date: Thu Oct 05 2000 - 10:53:29 PDT

At 10:13 AM 10/5/00 -0700, Dave Long wrote:

>> ... that philosophy ... offers no guidance on how to
>> reconcile "party on" with "being excellent." The former tends towards
>> selfish-indulgence, and the latter to self-denial.
>
>Hmmm. So "party on" maps to fortitude (keep on keepin' on), and
>"being excellent" maps to temperance? Bill and Ted would then be
>(according to plato, stoics, and the catholic church, any earlier
>references?) only two virtues short of the full cardinal: prudence
>(are your inputs valid?) and justice (are your outputs correct?).

I believe that someone may has misquoted the masters of philosophy, Bill
and Ted. Their two instuctions where..

1) Party On.
2) Be excellent to each other.

So you see, its not a schism between self-indulgence and self-denial. One
can both party on and be excellent to others, unless they hogging all the
beer or something.

Dude.