RE: Handel-C (compile to wire, not code)

From: Jim Whitehead (ejw@cse.ucsc.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 05 2000 - 15:18:58 PDT

> Enter Handel-C, which takes a C based expression of your algorithm and
> implements it by wiring up the gates of an ASIC (application specific
> integrated circuit).

It is my understanding that the limitations of this approach are scale and
trust. Scale: I don't think there has yet been an ASIC that could implement
a million line program, yet many of the applications we routinely use are of
this size. Trust: Would you trust Microsoft to rewire your computer? What
about the consequences of a virus?

> I'm trying to find stuff about it online but failing so far

The key terms are "hardware/software codesign". A search under this on
Google yields a rich trove of relevant bits.

http://www.google.com/search?q=hardware%2Fsoftware+codesign

- Jim