Re: [Pigdog] Opera beta for linux available

From: Tony Finch (dot@dotat.at)
Date: Sat Oct 07 2000 - 19:28:39 PDT

Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com> wrote:
>Also sprach Mr.Bad:
>>
>> What the hell is "EPOC"?
>
>It's Psion's embedded OS, firmly placed on the British Isles. Now
>maintained by Symbian, co-owned by Psion, Nokia, Ericsson, Motorola
>and Matsushita.

http://www.salonmag.com/tech/view/2000/05/15/colly_myers/

: There's a rumor among the British technical press that EPOC stands for
: "Electronic Piece of Cheese." Is that true?
:
: That was an acronym that they backfitted. You know how if something's
: cheesy ... in this case, the hardware engineers had taken to using the
: word that if something was going smoothly, it was going like a piece
: of cheese. Don't ask me why. So it became in the culture for a while
: that something that was akin to a piece of cheese was like a piece of
: cake -- it was going very well, very smoothly. So electronic piece of
: cheese just meant a great piece of software. But EPOC stands for
: epoch, and nothing else.

Tony.

--
en oeccget g mtcaa    f.a.n.finch