Top o the MsgList to you.

I Find Karma (adam@milliways.cs.caltech.edu)
Thu, 18 Sep 1997 03:51:00 -0700 (PDT)

Rohit writes:
> What's the current top ten contributors to MsgList like?

First off, for those of you who don't know what MsgList is, check out

http://www.cs.caltech.edu/~adam/local/faq-adam.html#msglist

> What does "into the MsgList" mean?
> The 3% of the 3% of the 3% of the 3% of the 3% worth keeping, usually
> something extremely witty, embarrassing, smutty, or some combination
> thereof, gets put into my MsgList (the
> message list in my head of things to say when I have nothing to say,
> which is at least 97% of the time). So, if you say something, and
> someone else says, "into the MsgList," then chances are it will be kept
> for posterity by yours truly, usually ending up in the strangest
> corners of the Web at any given moment.
>
> Use in a sentence:
> Don't send me smart things you've said in an attempt to woo your way
> into the MsgList; it's a gestalt thing that either you have, or you
> don't.

The list itself can be found at

http://www.cs.caltech.edu/~adam/msglist.html

but download at your own risk as it's now close to 2 Meg.

As for the top 10 contributors... I'm not sure. There's no easy way to
test authorship. A quick grep gives the following results...

John Dobbin: 469
Adam Rifkin: 257 (egomaniac much?)
Rohit Khare: 208
The Simpsons: 191
"Top 5" List: 159
Megan Coughlin: 150
Seinfeld: 136
Rob Harley: 116
Blackadder: 102
David Letterman: 97
Mark Twain: 87
"Jerry Maguire": 82
"When Harry Met Sally": 67
Dennis Miller: 66
Ari Rapkin: 57
Howard Stern: 52
Billy Joel: 52
Dave Barry: 51
Rush Limbaugh: 48
Richard Goodman: 46
"Reality Bites": 42
William Shakespeare: 41
"Slacker": 40
Jay Leno: 39
George Carlin: 38
Douglas Adams: 36
Green Day: 36
Mani Chandy: 33
"Heathers": 28
Tim Byars: 27
Benjamin Franklin: 27
George Bernard Shaw: 26
Denis Leary: 26
Ernie Prabhakar: 24
Joe Kiniry: 23
"The Princess Bride": 21
Nirvana: 18
"Clerks": 17
Thomas Jefferson: 16
Nietschze: 15
Joe Barrera: 11
Steve Bondi: 10
Ron Resnick: 8
Gordon Irlam: 7
Steve Jobs: 7
Rajit Manohar: 6
Wayne Baisley: 6
Ayn Rand: 6
Bill Gates: 4
Dan Kohn: 3
Dan Connolly: 2
Kristin Buxton: 1

I have no idea why the numbers are the way they are. They just are.

----
adam@cs.caltech.edu

Virtue is its own punishment.
-- Aneurin Bevan