Re: Business Plan (champarty)

Keith Dawson (dawson@world.std.com)
Thu, 2 Oct 1997 23:07:14 -0400

At 6:25p 10/2/97, Lienart \"Len\" Sylverin wrote:
>Hey you guys,
> I'm writing a business plan for a venture that finances patent
>infiringement lawsuits and that also buys, as a sidebusiness, newly
>filed patents... Funding would be from either a
>syndicate of investors (i.e. limited partnership or mutual fund) or
>outright VC funding in the company.

Er... that was illegal the last time I looked. The following is taken
from the online OED's definition of "champarty."

2. Law. The illegal proceeding, whereby a party not naturally concerned in
a suit engages to help the plaintiff or defendant to prosecute it, on
condition that, if it be brought to a successful issue, he is to receive a
share of the property in dispute.

Here is the URL -- looks like it is ephemeral and it may need a login
with the OED, so YMMV.

<http://www.oed.com/cgi-bin/oedp?dictcolor=color&format=Regular+Display&query=49449464&frametype=&dtext=OED+Only&dtext1=oed&dtext2=&dtext3=&qregion=Headword+as+Word>

Keith Dawson dawson@world.std.com
Layer of ash separates morning and evening milk.