Re: NIST Atomic Clock Broadcasts

Michael Stutz (stutz@dsl.org)
Thu, 17 Sep 1998 18:20:28 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 17 Sep 1998, Jim Whitehead wrote:

> After getting sidetracked into reading about the Time Service Department at
> the US Naval Observatory:
>
> http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/
>
> Including a link to this page of time synchronization software:
>
> http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~ntp/software.html

Most TSD machines stopped support of the netdate command because it fails to
do simple bounds checking. Which, yeah, is pretty bad, but easy to fix -- I
emailed that author of that page a few weeks back asking if they'd
reconsider opening access to port 13 if a new version of netdate came out
that actually looked at its input before attempting to set the time.
Actually, a few of their machines are still open but I didn't mention this
because it's a handy way to set the time.