RE: Number ninteen
Fri, 10 Sep 1999 09:56:14 -0700

This is getting picked up everywhere, always (as far as I've seen) with
heavy gushing over the message that this degree of interconnection makes the
Web a very "small world". In this particular version, two randomly selected
pages are _just_ 19 clicks away, and _any_ desired information is _nearby_
no matter where you are.

As an exponent, which is essentially the role it has here, 19 is not such a
small number.

If you think these degree-counting numbers measure something, at least
suggestively, consider that you're supposed to be 6 degrees of
acquaintance-separation from the background mass of humanity. Whatever that
means, you get to cube it and then some to get to the equivalent measure for
the link-separation of a given Web page from its undifferentiated fellow