RE: The nextstep in user-friendliness for the iMac

Bollers (boller@corecomm.net)
Mon, 18 Oct 1999 09:33:09 -0700

Ironically,
I was the main engineer as a liaison between Apple and Toshiba Corp for a
$30 million+ project to create a new line of portable multimedia devices and
small computers code named "Sweet Pea" back in 93'-94'. All planned sweet
pea products-- from laptop-sized to even "wearable" computers--had touch
screens and pens; they also had CD rom drives, NTSC video out, infrared
control, battery capable, PCMCIA slots and ran a (then) new OS named Kaleida
(not MAC or Windows), which was another now-defunct joint venture between
IBM and Apple.

I was in Cupertino the day that Sculley was fired and hundreds of Apple
people got laid off. Weird experience. It was, in retrospect, the day that
sweet pea (and Newton for that matter) died.

I was cooking-up grand plans for applications from games to education to
artificial intelligence to industrial applications (infrared in factories
for example). We had wearable models, Industrial models, student versions
and gaming models on the boards.

As an early new-media guy, I was always a big Mac advocate until I went to
high-level board meetings at Apple and realized it was just another
screwed-up politically driven corporation....
I still have one of the few prototypes.

DAB

David Alan Boller
Fountain Valley, CA 92708
714-964-1395
boller@technologist.com
"The Internet is Underhyped." - Mark Andreesen 1999