Re: AltaVista Image

Rajiv Shah (r-shah4@uiuc.edu)
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 10:15:18 -0500

An interesting feature of the new Image, Video & Audio Search
on Altavista is their Family Filter is turned on for searches of images,
video, and audio.

Therefore to view "objectionable" material, you must proactively turn the
family
filter off. I know Altavista at one point considered turning on a family
filter for all of the
web, but they have now implemented it for a portion of the web.

According to FAQ at http://www.altavista.com/av/content/help_family.html
Experienced editors from SurfWatch and AltaVista update content lists each
week to
provide you with the most current information, minus the objectionable sites.
SurfWatch blocks in these five categories:

Drugs/Alcohol/Tobacco
Gambling
Hate Speech
Sexually Explicit
Violence

At 04:19 PM 10/21/99 -0700, Gregory Alan Bolcer wrote:
>So I've been combing the Altavista site using the Virage Image Engine.
>I don't know how they do it, but it kicks ass. The company was founded in
>1994 by Dr. Ramesh Jain from UCSD and looks like it was funded by Adobe
>Ventures, Compaq Computer, Sutter Hill Ventures Trinity Ventures, Media
>Technology Ventures, TTC Ventures, and Hambrecht & Quist.

Rajiv Shah
Email: r-shah4@uiuc.edu