The Berners-Lee Award: what *do* they make?

Rohit Khare (rohit@uci.edu)
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 19:34:50 -0700

Double-take, yes, but there it is... !

http://www.bafta.org/bafta/5_ie/5_WINNERS.htm#berners
>THE BERNERS-LEE AWARD FOR THE BEST PERSONAL CONTRIBUTION TO THE UK INDUSTRY
>TOBY GARD & PAUL DOUGLAS

Heck, quite an honor -- I don't know if even our non-profit
truth-loving TimBL could win an award aimed that high :-)

Of course, this raises the question, "Who the heck are these
people?!" Or if you want to cut right to the heart of it, "What UK PC
Industry?!"

I leave you in the capable journalistic (!) hands for the skinny:

At 5:50 PM +0100 10/22/99, Danny O'Brien wrote:
> The
> BAFTA's flailed helplessly in the quicksands of New Media
> naivety with yet another bloody bird-watching site scamming
> an award by default, while Lara Croft creators TOBY GARD and
> PAUL DOUGLAS swung in to snatch the Tim Berners Lee award -
> despite the best attempts of EIDOS lawyers to shoot them
> down. Best overheard quote: one elderly BAFTA stalwart
> asking "Who *are* Berners Lee? What do they make?". Even NTK
> lived down to its own reputation, as our own anti-BAFTA
> Ge3kn1ght collapsed under its own weight into a grim
> trashpit of exploding laser power-supplies, indoor
> incendiaries, grenade launcher show and tells, uncontrolled
> moshing to Alexei Shulgin's voice-synthesis-and-MIDI rock
> and roll, and the inspiring sight of Richard M. Stallman
> signing the collar-bones of scantily-clad geek girls. *Not* pretty.

Cheers,
Rohit

PS. Hey, Danny, if I made the trek up the Thames, can I count on you
to arrange the same reception for this geek superhero? :-)