Re: diffent machines, same environment?

Gerald Oskoboiny (gerald@impressive.net)
Tue, 2 Nov 1999 06:01:31 -0500

On Mon, Nov 01, 1999 at 03:47:02PM -0500, John Klassa wrote:
> Okay, I'm slowly getting the hang of this, I think. The CVS stuff
> is working nicely (I've got a bunch of files in the repository, and
> have got a server running to serve the stuff up to my linux box upon
> request). Good enough.
>
> I've also got the ssh stuff working decently well, but am still
> perplexed by something. In particular, how do I get my entire X session
> to run under the auspices of ssh, so that the things I do from my window
> manager menus (like spawning an xterm) get the benefit of encryption and
> the like? As it is, I'm starting X from ssh-agent, as in:
>
> eval `ssh-agent thing-to-start-X`

You can simply do:

ssh-agent thing-to-start-X

or if you really want to use eval:

eval `ssh-agent`
thing-to-start-X

Once X comes up, do an ssh-add to give the agent your credentials,
then ssh away without ever having to type a password again.

> When I come up, xterms created by my window-manager init routines have
> DISPLAY set to :0.0, rather than something like :1.0. Is there any way
> to do this?

What problem are you experiencing? Mine is :0:0 and everything
seems happy. The important thing is that SSH_AGENT_PID and
SSH_AUTH_SOCK need to be defined so ssh knows how to talk to
your agent process.

I use CVS to manage my web site as well as my dotfiles and
scripts and stuff. I have mine set up so whenever I commit
something, CVS sends email to my account on my ISP where I have
a procmailrc that intercepts the message and runs a script to
checkout whatever I committed onto my virtual server.

I keep meaning to put some notes about this online, but never
get around to it.

--
Gerald Oskoboiny <gerald@impressive.net>
http://impressive.net/people/gerald/