Re: (fwd) The GroupLens Trial

I Find Karma (adam@cs.caltech.edu)
Mon, 12 Feb 96 17:24:57 PST

Rohit, you're right, I meant to FoRK this.

The question on the table is, can a information filtering system turn
around and monetize itself? And the answer, I think, is yes. The
motivating example is the dollar bill. A dollar is a dollar is a
dollar, whether I use it to purchase smut, or useful information, or
a soda. Only through dollars can all of these other things assume
values relative to each other, though: you would never hear someone
talking about bartering smut for food.

*blink blink*

Or would you?

Anyway, I still think that any rating system (such as the information
filtering provided by GroupLens) could evolve into a monetary system.
The more people that rate this as high on the filter scale, the more
(theoretically) we should be willing to pay for those bits.

A.

To: adam@cs.caltech.edu (I Find Karma)
Subject: Re: Kudos redux.

I think you meant to FoRK this...

RK

PS. you're right. Add the point that this is a Kudo in units of "I think
everyone else would think this is a ____ of *bandwidth*" or *cost*. Other
PICS-based Kudos could be units of *horniness* or *turing-cluefullness* or
*minsky-like*. There is an ethical judgment system in the scale -- I want to
know if the currency can monetize *itself*, spontaneously onto a scale.

Begin forwarded message: