Re: (fwd) The GroupLens Trial

Tim Byars (tbyars@earthlink.net)
Mon, 12 Feb 1996 20:53:25 -0800

At 5:24 PM 2/12/96, I Find Karma wrote:

>Rohit, you're right, I meant to FoRK this.
>
>The question on the table is, can a information filtering system turn
>around and monetize itself? And the answer, I think, is yes. The
>motivating example is the dollar bill. A dollar is a dollar is a
>dollar, whether I use it to purchase smut, or useful information, or
>a soda. Only through dollars can all of these other things assume
>values relative to each other, though: you would never hear someone
>talking about bartering smut for food.

Adam,

Speak for yourself. I for one will trade anything for good quaity smut. You
example of a dollar being a dollar = adding value to smut is silly. How can
you place a dollar value on the Sept. 1984 Penthouse with not only Vanessa
Williams, but a 15 year old Tracy Lords as the centerfold?

Tim

--

There are no incurable ills | There are no believable Gods There are no unkillable thrills | There are no unreachable goals There are no unbeatable odds | There are no unsaveable souls . . Osbourne e-mail tbyars@earthink.net | http://home.earthlink.net/~tbyars ---------------------------------------------------------------------