What comes around...

Dan Connolly (connolly@w3.org)
Thu, 28 Mar 1996 18:50:40 -0500

--------------2277399F341BD6C05346BDFE

news:qijag126ki2.fsf_-_@lambda.ai.mit.edu

--
Daniel W. Connolly        "We believe in the
interconnectedness of all things"
Research Scientist, MIT/W3C     PGP: EDF8 A8E4 F3BB
0F3C  FD1B 7BE0 716C FF21
<connolly@w3.org>                  http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/People/Connolly/

--------------2277399F341BD6C05346BDFE Content-Type: message/rfc822 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-Disposition: inline

Path: senator-bedfellow.mit.edu!usenet From: shivers@ai.mit.edu (Olin Shivers) Newsgroups: comp.lang.scheme Subject: Steeplechasing Date: 27 Mar 1996 21:04:37 -0500 Organization: Artificial Intelligence Lab, MIT Lines: 33 Sender: shivers@lambda.ai.mit.edu Message-ID: <qijag126ki2.fsf_-_@lambda.ai.mit.edu> References: <4j64sk$lrt@ns.cs.hku.hk> Reply-To: shivers@ai.mit.edu NNTP-Posting-Host: lambda.ai.mit.edu In-reply-to: ckkan@cs.hku.hk's message of 25 Mar 1996 12:51:32 GMT X-Newsreader: Gnus v5.1

From: ckkan@cs.hku.hk (3000m Steeplechaser) > Could anyone tell me, with brief explanation, what will I get if I > evaluate the following expression using dynamic scope rule & lexical > scope rule respectively ?

> How can I express the following expression using LAMDA instead of LET ?

> Could anyone write a merge function in scheme that merges two sorted > lists of numbers into a single sorted list ?

> What is the loop invariant for this procedure ?

> How does length's loop invariant help to determine its loop termination > test ?

> How do type system in scheme affect the representation of basic types > such as integers, characters & float point numbers ?

Peter-

As the author of these questions you've been passing along to comp.lang.scheme, I'd advise you not to worry too much about them. It's true I put them on the midterm and final exams in 1992, but as I'm now at MIT and no longer teaching at HKU, you probably won't encounter them on your exam. You'd do better to try and figure out what sorts of questions will be chosen by Andrew or Francis or T.H. or whoever's teaching CS202 this year.

If worst comes to worst, my last-ditch advice would be to sit down and actually learn the material.

I just can't get over what a convenient and powerful educational tool netnews is. It's certainly opened my eyes, anyway. -Olin

--------------2277399F341BD6C05346BDFE--