Re: opinon piece from odf-interest mailing list wrt apple,

CobraBoy (tbyars@earthlink.net)
Sun, 30 Mar 1997 15:41:07 -0800

At 02:13 PM 3/30/97 -0800, you wrote:
> [...]

WRONG WRONG WORONG. If you actually believe this, stop talking about Apple
right now. Apple's ease of use OS granted has been a big part, but it was
(as in years past) Apple's hardware that kept them alive. Built in SCSI,
Networking, first with CD-ROM's, built in Digital Video, etc. No one else
has ever offered computers that featured all that standard, and I don't
think anyone still does. (Well NeXTStations but we won't go there, and no
Amiga doesn't count.)

>(2) Apple's problems have always been a deep lack of executive and
>marketing understanding about the technology Apple owns. The execs and
>marketing have rarely understood the benefits of their technologies at a
>gut level. Most rarely used the technology themselves so they couldn't see
>its advantages. The engineers were always light years ahead. OpenDoc is the
>latest casualty, but there have been many others. Ellison should change
>that.

Wrong again. Apple's problem has been they have ignored the people that
were buying Macintosh's. It's the classic case of a love/hate relationship.
Yes, the arty types in pony tails and goatee's buy our products, but they
aresn't corporate Amerika, and we have to be accepted by corporate Amerika.
That thinking has just about put them out of business.

>(3) Apple currently lacks a focus. While the rest of the world focuses on
>network computing, Apple could be focusing on document centric computing
>and clean up on the market now dominated by Microsoft. Ellison should have
>Apple become the world's document centric leader and tie the OpenDoc
>technology (or some equivalent based on Java) to its Notes technology. What
>are people going to do with all of the JavaBeans and information they get
>off the net. The answer is that they are going to SHARE that information in
>personally designed, customized documents. Since Oracle knows about shared
>documents from its Notes business, document centric computing simply rounds
>out Oracle's business model.

Wrong again. Apple finally has realized that they are 1) not going to win
the desktop, 2) not going to be accepted by corporate America 3) not going
to be the server solution 4) sell a hell of a lot of Macintosh's to certain
segments of the computing population, that also happens to be the creative
giants of the world.

[snip repost of editorial]

Tim
-- I got two turntables and a microphone... <>
tbyars@earthlink.net <>