NT Hole?

Yobie Benjamin (yobie@metagenesis.com)
Mon, 31 Mar 1997 20:38:02 -0800

> From: "John Boyer" <johnboy@hiwaay.net>
> To: <FoRK@xent.w3.org>
> Subject: MS NT Security Hole
> Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 14:50:29 -0600
>
> Regarding the password crack for NT. I tried it and it works. I had to
> write some code to get a bigger word list, the one that comes with the
> ntcrack code is not very big.
>
> The crack code can be found at:
> http://www.secnet.com/ntinfo/ntcrack.html
>
> And it's in the news now...
> http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/97/03/31/msft_x000_5.html

I do not want to get into a brawl with Microsoft and quite honestly I do
not have resources (or time) to argue with the boys from Redmond so may
I please ask a question... Am I missing something? If in fact, the
Allison code (ftp://samba.anu.edu.au/pub/samba/pwdump) does not
compromise the security of NT, then I will accept the opinions of this
distinguished forum. However, IMHO the fact that NT SAM has been
compromised is serious enough to merit some corrective action from MS.

So let me ask a question, what are the repercussions of a compromised NT
SAM? Assuming that SAM has been cracked, what can you do? What
possible "attacks" can be achieved? (Please do not post source. I just
want some explainations) I looked at the NTCRACK code and found that a
more expansive dictionary can be added on (as in John Boyer's work). If
I am wrong then I would be more than happy to admit it.

Any thoughts? Please cc: yobie@yobie.com.