I'm planning to accept UCI's offer

Rohit Khare (khare@w3.org)
Wed, 2 Apr 1997 21:10:04 -0500 (EST)

Dr. Taylor --

Details are a little unsettled right now, but I'm pretty certain I'll
now be accepting UCI's offer. I just heard back from the one
compelling industrial opportunity, and I've decided against
Caltech. The only thing left for me to consider is a ninth-inning
counteroffer from W3C to stay on for a while; this would affect
whether I enroll in June, September, or ask for a deferral (quite

The main issue is a book project defining Web Architecure and W3C's
vision. Just as I've finally given up on W3C ever commissioning such
a piece, the tides may be turning again. It could be worth five months
of my time to stay on and put this together, but I can't see many
reasons to push back past September.

The decision will be finalized, and I expect to give W3C notice, by
the end of this week. The most probable course is that it will then be
my decision whether to embark on the book as a "summer project" on my
own, or perhaps at UCI.

Thanks again,
Rohit Khare

PS. Feel free to circulate this information; it is not particularly
confidential. I've been tracking my progress on a public mailing list
anyway... for example, the Teledesic option is discussed at: