Re: Climbing Clueful Mountain

Mark Baker (markb@mrburns.iosphere.net)
Fri, 4 Apr 1997 10:53:05 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 4 Apr 1997, Ron Resnick wrote:
> (This is a big part of the
> confusion here, I think- I'm quite against the whole notion of document-centric computing,
> and compound documents as terminology. I think documents are *not* a good metaphor
> for the daily activities networked bits are going to permeate in our lives. When
> I go shopping or drive my car or have a beer, there are no "documents" involved.
> But the networked bits will be in all these places, and more.
> I think the Taligent "people places things" imagery, and the Orfali-coined
> "shippable places" is much more apt).

I had to bud in on this one point.

You've got to learn to walk before you can run. Compound documents are
a simple, appealing metaphor for the desktop that will ready the masses
for shippable places. They're needed now for this reason, IMHO.

Budding out .. 8-)

MB

--
Mark Baker, Ottawa Ontario CANADA.                  Java, CORBA, OpenDoc, Beans
markb@iosphere.net, mbaker@nortel.ca             http://www.iosphere.net/~markb

Will distribute business objects for food.