Re: Doug Schmidt update

Ron Resnick (resnick@interlog.com)
Fri, 2 May 1997 16:42:42 -0400 (EDT)

Hey, you! Karmakid! GreenDayChefDog! Adam!
You with the wierd webpage - you know,
the one that looks like a collection of links pulled down from
Yahoo! Random.

I don't mind my bits migrating from somewhere else to FoRK - that's
cool. But just a *hint* of attribution to them, so that innocent
FoRKers know where they came from, might have been nice :-).
Isn't that like a violation of FoRKposter's ten commandments,
or something?? You're getting close to penalty box time again....
That's ok - your kudo deficit just grew a bit more.
For those that want to see the original unabridged bits Adam felt worthy
of FoRKing, they can be found at:
http://www.infospheres.caltech.edu/mailing_lists/dist-obj/0199.html

All right, so I see that my insistent attempts to pull open the
kimono, ever since way back on Mt. Clue, are finally starting
to pay off.

So - Rohit, Henrik:
PEP has/will have room to grow into into a real sub-TCP,
straight over the IP model? Supporting hardware multicast
where possible, and routed multicast adaptively? Reliable
multicast? VS models? Various ordering and memership guarantees?
Come on!!! Get on with it- tell us more!

Have you guys seen the iBus I keep ranting on about over 'yonder-
Silvano Maffeis' baby?
http://www.olsen.ch/export/proj/ibus
Do you think your PEP can evolve to
a 'protocol construction kit', permitting on the fly composition
of multicast/ p-p flavours, as iBus does? (using URL-based
naming to differentiate, no less!)

I'm getting quite intrigued now.

I still have trouble with your XML model (something to do with the need for
a Turing-equivalent computing model, like a real programming language,
like Java), but I'll leave
that for another time. BTW, I'm _really_ curious about this one:
does the whole munchkins world have any room for Java at all?
Or do you think you can pull the whole thing off without a
quote-unquote 'real programming language'? Please don't tell
me it's all Tcl.

Onto another subject entirely:

Rohit, I don't know if you have your round-the-world mapped out yet.
But if you're interested in making a stop in Israel, there's a
place to sleep waiting for you. I don't know if you've ever been
here before, so it's a chance to be somewhere new.

To sweeten the offer, here's 2 more enticements:
1. I can probably swing a chance for you to give a talk at the
IBM research lab here. They're usually into guest speakers coming
in. Pick a topic close to your heart - the importance of PEP & XML
and the directions of the W3C might be nice. There's a number
of web-oriented people here, as well as Java folks, so this
would be quite relevant.

2. My liquor cabinet still has that half-bottle of JW Blue, as
well as a Laphroaig, a Cardhu, a Glenfiddich,
a JW Black (ok, cheap stuff :-), a 12yr Bushmills,
and an 18 year old Wiser's Oldest Canadian rye. The Glenmorangie
ran out - sorry - why don't you bring me one duty free? :-)
(No, this is not a general invitation for "Party at Ron's house" ).

Drop me an email if you're interested.

Ron.

At 08:37 AM 5/2/97 PDT, Adam stole my bits :-):