Re: Netscape Internet Foundation Classes ?

CobraBoy (tbyars@earthlink.net)
Wed, 21 Aug 1996 12:07:23 -0700

At 11:25 AM -0700 8/21/96, Joe Kiniry wrote:
>You wrote:
>> Excerpted from PCWeek article about JavaScript incompatibility and
>> sniping:

>in any case, if netscape decides to go ahead an engineer some of
>the components of their one
>release before the specs for java 1.1 are released, we could have a
>serious problem in the short-term. in the long-term, i believe
>that developers of java applications are much more likely to support
>the sun specs regardless of release timing issues. you see, the
>java developer community seems to be very pro-sun and
>anti-establishment (at least until the wintel hordes arrive).

As I have found the Wintel hordes hate Ms more than just about anyone. They
view them as a nesscessary evil and would like to do almost anything to
give Gates a bloody nose.

>i believe that we will see more these java-related clashes because,
>with the lucrativeness of the market, everyone is racing to be the
>first to announce. have you ever seen so many white papers
>describing technology that "we're thinking about doing but you can't
>blame us if we don't" _ever_?

Hey, that is how this industry works. What's wrong with that? Float a idea
and try to get funding.

>i don't think this clash will come to a head though. sun and
>netscape have pretty good communication channels and i'm sure
>pre-releases of apis for the components in which netscape has
>interest will be made available. so, regardless of
>re-implementation strategies (i.e. we want to get to market 2 months
>before sun), at least the apis will be identical. now let's just
>hope that the semantics are as well...

No matter what cunning stunts Netscape pulls I'm sure Sun understands that
if Netscape falls Ms gets the whole enchalada.

Tim

--

-= -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Inertia makes morons of a lot of people. -=-=-=-=-=-=-= -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- tbyars@earthlink.net