Web Services: Its So Crazy, It Just Might Not Work

Clay Shirky clay@shirky.com
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 15:51:42 -0400 (EDT)

> Loose coupling and remote method invocation sound like they are
> opposites.  But I suppose anything to help loosen the coupling in an
> RMI/RPC situation will help.

Channeling the spirits of FoRK, I think Dave's answer would be "That's
what I've been saying for years" while Mark's would be "Nothing will
help, because the brokeness is in the idea of RPC, not in the
implementations."

I guess what I'm trying to handicap is: is RMI like hypertext, an old
idea just waiting for the right environment, or is it like video
phones, a technological capability its putative users have no actual
use for?

-clay