Web Services: Its So Crazy, It Just Might Not Work

Mike Dierken mike@DataChannel.com
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 13:08:52 -0700

------_=_NextPart_001_01C119FC.9E7F4B40

> > Loose coupling and remote method invocation sound like they are
> > opposites.  But I suppose anything to help loosen the coupling in an
> > RMI/RPC situation will help.
>
> Channeling the spirits of FoRK, I think Dave's answer would be "That's
> what I've been saying for years" while Mark's would be "Nothing will
> help, because the brokeness is in the idea of RPC, not in the
> implementations."
I know - I was just trying to liven up the afternoon... ;)

> I guess what I'm trying to handicap is: is RMI like hypertext, an old
> idea just waiting for the right environment, or is it like video
> phones, a technological capability its putative users have no actual
> use for?

Interesting analogy. "I can think of all kinds of things a video phone could
do for me!" - but actually turning on a camera isn't what they expected or
wanted.
Perhaps "I can think of all kinds of things a networked API could do for
me!" - but actually having lots of slow functions isn't what they expected
or wanted.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C119FC.9E7F4B40

RE: Web Services: Its So Crazy, It Just Might Not Work