Why "loss of productivity" is NOT an issue

Jeff Bone jbone@jump.net
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 16:00:14 -0500

Tom wrote:

> Look , Ill make it country simple. Smoke around me or my family and then
> note my reaction.

Side note:  I'm saddened by this predictable "breeder mentality" response,
Tom.  You can huff and puff all day long about civil liberties, freedom, etc.
--- but when your own personal hot button gets pressed and you feel the
safety of your spawn is threatened, you immediately retreat into the land of
"public good" demagoguery and would seem ready to deny the rights of others
to make their own choices.

I don't want to smoke around your family, Tom.  In fact, I don't want to *be*
around your kids at all;  I feel just as strongly that being around your kids
might be unhealthy for me (mentally, etc. ;-) as you do that being around my
smoke might be unhealthy for you and yours.

The bottom line is this:  I don't have to go to your house, and you don't
have to go to my bar.  I'll agree not to come light up in your office, and in
return you agree not to sit in the smoking section at the restaurant.  As for
public areas, well, guess what?  We just have to tolerate each other.  I'll
put up with your noxious offspring, even though I don't like it --- and
you'll put up with my smoke.  Or, more likely, if we're bothering each other,
we'll just move apart and there's no harm done.

jb