Web Services: Its So Crazy, It Just Might Not Work

Mark Baker mbaker@markbaker.ca
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 17:08:19 -0400 (EDT)

> Channeling the spirits of FoRK, I think Dave's answer would be "That's
> what I've been saying for years" while Mark's would be "Nothing will
> help, because the brokeness is in the idea of RPC, not in the
> implementations."
>
> I guess what I'm trying to handicap is: is RMI like hypertext, an old
> idea just waiting for the right environment, or is it like video
> phones, a technological capability its putative users have no actual
> use for?

Neither, IMHO.  It is an old idea, but one whose time has come and gone,
and has since been superceded by a better idea.

I wonder what Dave was thinking when he first saw chopsticks?  Was it
"These would be great for stabbing fruit, but you really need to attach
little pointy ends to one to make it better for scooping and tearing,
and a serated edge to the other to make it good for cutting stuff"?

Sooner or later he'll realize that when you live in <insert favorite
chopstick-using-nation-here>, chopsticks are pretty much all you need.
That will come moments after he realizes that *he's* been living there
since 1994.

BTW, good subject. 8-)

MB