Web Services: Its So Crazy, It Just Might Not Work

Mark Baker mbaker@markbaker.ca
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 17:19:10 -0400 (EDT)

> So help me out, Mark:  do you really believe that application protocols
> such as HTTP are qualitatively and significantly different than RPCs, or
> can you see clear to the realization that they are just specific and
> specifically-constrained sets of RPCs?

You're absolutely right about HTTP being a *use* of RPC, because each
HTTP component exposes an application interface; GET, POST, PUT, etc..
What I think is a bad idea is where every network component has its own
RPC interface different from every other.

Because defining a new RPC interface means defining new application
semantics and therefore a new application protocol.  We need less protocols,
not more.  That's why (and how) I'm anti-RPC.

MB