Tobacco smoke, mustard gas, war

Russell Turpin deafbox@hotmail.com
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 21:59:52 +0000

Tom Whore writes:
>In case your still not hip to the think, replace the words "cigerte smoke"
>with "mustard gas" and see if your still down wit it.

And:

>If joe smoker intrudes on my airspace its war.

Both law and ethics demand proportionate response.
Tobacco smoke is *not* mustard gas. That comparison
is just plain dumb. The appropriate response to someone
smoking where they shouldn't is, in a polite tone, to
say: "I'd prefer you didn't smoke here, please." You're
allowed a much greater response to someone launching a
canister of mustard gas.

If your response is somewhat disproportionate to the
offense, you're just rude. If your response is as
greatly disproportionate as are tobacco smoke and
mustard gas, the police and local justice system will
help teach these concepts to you. And sometimes, in
public areas, you either put up with minor offenses,
or you learn to lead with manners rather than indignation,
or you move away from the people who are offending you, or
you escalate your way to jail. Your choice.

Russell