Web Services: Its So Crazy, It Just Might Not Work

Clay Shirky clay@shirky.com
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 18:01:38 -0400 (EDT)

> You're absolutely right about HTTP being a *use* of RPC, because each
> HTTP component exposes an application interface; GET, POST, PUT, etc..

So you are not anti-RPC so much as you think that if you are going to
do RPC, you should define the semantics with method/path/query
string/STDIN, rather than as a payload that takes http literally and
treats it as a transport protocol?

> What I think is a bad idea is where every network component has its own
> RPC interface different from every other.

And at a guess, you think this is bad because of the coordination
issues it raises, namely that discovering any given RCp interfaces
sytax and expectations is so tedious/time consuming that it makes the
whole system inefficient?

-clay