Why "loss of productivity" is NOT an issue

Jeff Bone jbone@jump.net
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 22:18:36 -0500

carey wrote:

> So fine.. I accept your deal. What happens with the smokers who don't
> feel like even doing that?

You kin jus' bitch-slap 'em in the fuckin' face, my blessings.

> OR here's one that I face every fucking
> day:  I go sit out side (because last time I checked, the outside was
> not totally owned by the smokers;).  SMoker A is directly holding
> their cancer stick in my immediate vicinity.  They breathe their
>     pollution in my face and look at me like I'm the one with the
>     complex.  It violates your 'pollutes your own' bit quite a bit,
> yet it continually happens each and every time I go out.

The problem is definition of "pollutes your own" and the principle of occupation vs.
ownership.  (Right on freehold versus right on leasehold, for the common (antiquarian)
lawyers among you.)  Here's what me mam had to say about it:

"The Great Outdoors is uh *LARGE* place, much larger than mos' buildin's and
rest'rants, and oh surely yew kin fin' uh place whuts to be where there are no
smokers.  If you REALLY want to take it uh step further, as far's I know there's still
places in Olaska (sic) that you kin homestead, and be hunnerds of miles 'way from
oothers... smokers er a'non.  An' of course, there are the in'finit' reaches uh space,
which we have noe happily reach'd."

> Nagging them
> does nothing.

EXCEPT *PISS THE SMOKERS OFF* which certainly does your cause no good.  Why should they
--- we --- be considerate, tolerant, polite --- THEN YOU AREN'T????!!!!

> Usually , it leads to the lovely effect known as 'smoker
> gang-up' where all smokers surround me, and blow nasty smoke in my
> face.

Which, though your own behavior may not warrant it, is certainly behavior warranted by
the unctious militants among your ranks.  Now, right, you aren't called to for that
behaviour;  nonetheless, it's you and yours that engender it.

> OR friends get offended (imagine that, offended because I don't
> want to die of their habit) and purposely get rude about it.
> Bah.

No more than is generally deserved...

> Unfortunately Jeff, most folks aren't that nice.  And most folks I
> deal with that smoke tend to get pissy as fuck about being told to
> redirect their habit.

The problem is clear in the statement.  "Told" vs. "asked."  Think on it.

> Or not smoke in my car /personal space/ house.

Only a barbarian would trespass your wishes in such a situation...

> I'm sure the natural response will be 'get new friends'.  Bah.

Bigotry.  Judge each individual.

jb