Disturbing News: Park Police arm themselves against US citizens

Andrew Robinson arobinso@optonline.net
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 23:49:25 -0700

Reply to both forks of this thread:

Firstly, the folks down by the Klamath. I've been following this on the
local news here in Washington. Terribly story - you should see the farmland,
it's like a desert. Literally - dust. Goes to illustrate that difficult
dichotomy between environmental policy and man's natural imperative to use
nature to his own advantage. Or abuse it, depending on whether you want to
take a purely naturist view of evolution and man's rightful place in nature
or a philosophically enlightened view of it.

As for the armed Park Police - well, what would you expect? Here's a bunch
of probably really riled up farmers who have already forced their way to the
spigots and turned on the water themselves in violation of federal orders.
They *could* get violent. The federal government, probably wrongly, decided
not to allow that water through. Period. End of discussion, really, since
this isn't a direct democracy, but a republic, and people don't get to
personally make decisions like that. Government agencies do, which are then
backed up by the executive branch and, often, armed forces. Which makes
sense when you remember that the state is often defined as the sole actor in
civil society that has a monopoly on the use of force. They're perfectly
within their rights to shoot people who break the rules. They just don't,
usually, because this is, after all, a republic and not an authoritarian
dictatorship. Just remember - the threat of force is as important to
government as our precious Bill of Rights or Declaration of Independence, or
voting, or anything else. So damn right they're ready to shoot you. What
would we expect them to do? Stand there and say, "Please, Mr. Farmers, don't
push past us and turn on the water! Please?"

As for the GPS beacon in the missile, hey - I see it like building code
piece by piece and see if it works bit by bit rather than just writing the
whole program and hitting 'run'. They failed the first few times, let's see
if we can hit the thing when we KNOW where it is. Make sure we don't have a
problem with guidance, make sure it's actually possible to hit something
going that fast if we have a good fix on it, and then we'll worry about
getting that good fix without the GPS system. A successful test if viewed in
that light.

Or you could just make fun of the shield itself. And the best way to do that
is to point out that the greatest threat to this country now doesn't come
from ballistic missiles but domestically launched/detonated chemical,
biological, or nuclear devices, whether by domestic or international
terrorism. A ballistic missile shield is like putting up an umbrella in an
earthquake.

--Andrew Robinson