Web Services: Its So Crazy, It Just Might Not Work

Jeff Bone jbone@jump.net
Wed, 01 Aug 2001 05:44:36 -0500

Mark Baker wrote:

> > > What I think is a bad idea is where every network component has its own
> > > RPC interface different from every other.
> >
> > And at a guess, you think this is bad because of the coordination
> > issues it raises, namely that discovering any given RCp interfaces
> > sytax and expectations is so tedious/time consuming that it makes the
> > whole system inefficient?
>
> More than just inefficient, it makes it impractical.  But yes, that's it.

I would argue that while, yes, there are significant coordination costs that
result from an API approach, these are insignificant by comparison to the
effort, time, and expense necessary to introduce new semantics into a protocol
such as HTTP, *even assuming* one's technical competence and conscience can
stomach such an attrocity.  And as for working toward new, separate application
protocols --- forget it.  The era of the wireline app protocol is over.  Get
used to RPC, APIs, and hope / do what you can to ensure they're tolerable.

jb