Disturbing News: Park Police arm themselves against US citizens

Matt Jensen mattj@newsblip.com
Wed, 1 Aug 2001 10:36:56 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 1 Aug 2001, Tom wrote:

> As a side note  The ESA is being blamed by certian legislators for the
> death of 4 fire fighters in the Washington State fire of July 01.
>
> NPR had a sound byte on it this morning.

---
"I am very, very concerned about this," [Rep. McInnis] said during a House
Forestry Subcommittee hearing. "We need to find out if there was a delay
in putting resources on the field because of the Endangered Species Act."
... Officials with the U.S. Forest Service said they were unaware of any
such incident...
McInnis, an opponent of some aspects of the Environmental Species Act and
a critic of some environmental regulations for overburdening individuals,
repeated acknowledged his account "is strictly an allegation."

- http://seattlep-i.nwsource.com/local/33458_fire01.shtml

----
[The Seattle Times suggests there was *confusion* over the EPA rules, not
a problem with the rules themselves.]

A nearly two-hour delay did occur that day, but not because of the
strictures of ESA, said Elton Thomas, fire-management officer for the
Okanogan and Wenatchee National Forests.

Water can be plucked from a river without permission from wildlife
agencies during such an incident, Thomas said. However, in the water- and
fish-sensitive Methow Valley area, dispatchers may have been simply
"trying to do the right thing," he said.

-
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/134324629_fishfire01m.html
----

(BTW, the two articles have a notable difference in tone, as do the
papers.)

-Matt Jensen
 http://mattjensen.com
 http://NewsBlip.com