MBA stuff Re: NYTimes.com Article: Google Names Chief Executive

Mike Masnick mike@techdirt.com
Wed, 08 Aug 2001 13:05:49 -0700

I'm no apologist for bad and annoying MBA graduates, because there are
plenty, but I'm curious how you determine which schools are the ones where
people earned vs. bought their degrees?

I, for one, am happy that I got my MBA.  I thought it was a great
experience in a lot of ways.  I thought that Cornell did a great job
preparing me, and really prides themselves on building a program that the
students find useful for many years after they've graduated.

I've had both good experiences and bad experiences dealing with MBAs from
any number of schools.  In general, (like just about anything) it reminds
me that it's usually the individual that determines my opinion of them,
more than the program they came from.  The people who feel they're "owed"
something or that they're better than others because they have an MBA (no
matter where they got it) are the ones who have always troubled me.

However, I've met enough people from most of the top MBA programs
(including the ones you've mentioned) to suggest that it's possible to get
a completely useful education from any of them.

 -Mike

At 12:58 PM 8/8/01 -0700, rudy rouhana wrote:
>No,
>Actually those three schools stand out the most to me.  I pretty much
>consistently run into the biggest jokers from those schools.  The other high
>point scorer on my bullshit chart is Kauffman Fellow title.
>
>Krannert grads (Purdue) do well in my book.  As do grads from schools
where you
>earn vs. buy your degree.
>
>-Rudy
>
>--- Mike Masnick <mike@techdirt.com> wrote:
>> *cough*
>>
>> Another FoRKer with an MBA (from Cornell) right here.  Also glad not to
>> have gone to a school mentioned below, but I'm sure Rudy would have
>> included just about any MBA program in his list.
>>
>> Glad to see that random generalizations about folks with MBAs haven't gone
>> away.
>>
>>  -Mike
>>
>> At 12:09 PM 8/8/01 -0700, James Hong wrote:
>> >good thing i got my MBA at Berkeley, as did the only other FoRKer i know
>> >with an MBA.
>> >
>> >cheers,
>> >james
>> >
>> >----