MBA stuff Re: NYTimes.com Article: Google Names Chief Executive

rudy rouhana webtagz@yahoo.com
Wed, 8 Aug 2001 15:16:36 -0700 (PDT)

Perhaps it is those schools that attract the types of individuals that feel
they are "owed" something.  Hell, maybe they are owed something, they did pay
$30K+/year!  I've either pitched to, raised money from, sold to, employed or
fired MBAs from all the schools that I've mentioned.  I do my best to judge
people as individuals. My opinions are based on what I observed, not a
predisposed bias. I am human, and thus fallable (unlike MBAs from the schools I
mentioned, who never admit mistakes ;) and recognize that I may be wrong in
judging myself.

This isn't my only criteria, but one of the things I look for to see if degrees
are "purchased" is the graduation rate of a school.  Most of the Ivy League
schools boast +90% (Harvard had a 97% Grad. rate in 1999) graduation rates for
undergrads.  An arguement can be made that since the acceptance criteria is so
high, everyone that gets in gets out with a degree.  That theory doesn't hold
water with me.  I graduated high school with a 3.2 GPA, but busted a high score
on the SAT and was accepted to Brown.  Point being, it's not that hard to get
in, just get over 1300 on a single test.  I took the SAT one time. However, if
I wasn't so bright and REALLY wanted a Brown degree, I suppose I could have
paid a bunch of money to Kaplan and re-taken the exam until I achieved the
score necessary.

Then again, maybe it wasn't the SAT score that got me the acceptance letter at
all.  Perhaps the "background" questions on the application where I mentioned I
wouldn't need financial aid because my family had a few dollars bought me the
letter.

Either way, I thought $30G's a year was a bunch of bullshit to get an
education.  So, I went to a school that had a low barrier to entry cost wise
(With a merit based scholarship, it was free) and faced incredible challenges
academically due to competition.  In fact, there was this damn red-head'd 16yr
old that fuxored the curve in Calculus my first summer there.  I think he's
working at KnowNow these days...

is undeserved.  The reality is, you get what you pay for.  Shell out the big
dollars and you'll get the GPA and diploma that you want.  Fabulous.  There are
jobs waiting for you at Mackensie, KPMG and any other "consulting" firm that
needs to resell you.  However, when I'm hiring, I want someone who will
actually get something done, and will look elsewhere.

Side note, when visiting my g/f at Stanford (I won't hire, but I'll sleep with
grads from those schools...), I was told that their mechanical engineering
department is "ranked best in the country" or some bullshit like that.  I'll
put money down any day that someone from Cooper Union, Rose-Hulman, Harvy Mudd,
Purdue or my own school could out engineer a Stanford ME.

-Rudy