XML-RPC and http

Aaron Swartz aswartz@upclink.com
Mon, 6 Aug 2001 18:12:18 -0500

On Monday, July 30, 2001, at 09:40  PM, Clay Shirky wrote:

>>> Maybe they want to use POST.
>> I have no problem with that, that's the point of my argument.
>
> This is where I got with Mark as well in private mail, at which point
> I wonder what your objection to XML-RPC is again? (Mark's is that he
> hates RPC in any form.)

Hmm, perhaps I should have said, "I have no problem with that
when it's in line with how POST is specified in the spec".

> If it is acceptable to use POST whether or not there is a side effect,
> than it seems to me XML-RPC is perfectly well within the context of
> http methods, nu?

It's doable, but not acceptable among the Web community... It's
somewhere in betweeen a MUST and a REALLY SHOULD.

--
       "Aaron Swartz"      |              The Semantic Web
  <mailto:me@aaronsw.com>  |  <http://logicerror.com/semanticWeb-long>