RIP Poul Anderson

Rodent of Unusual Size Ken.Coar@Golux.Com
Thu, 09 Aug 2001 09:13:16 -0400

Re-sent due to nasty, nasty FoRK downtime.
-------- Original Message --------
Subject: FWD: RIP Poul Anderson
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2001 23:43:07 -0400
From: "Donald E. Eastlake 3rd" <dee3@torque.pothole.com>
To: interest@another.pothole.com

From:  jill@pothole.com
Subject:  Poul Anderson
Date:  Wed, 1 Aug 2001 22:24:39 -0400

From: danderso1@juno.com
                    08/01/2001
                    09:15 PM
This came to the Reading for the Future list from Greg Bear, one of
RFF's founders and Poul Anderson's son-in-law.

Friends,

Poul Anderson passed away last night, July 31-August 1, around
midnight.  During the afternoon, he received hundreds of emails and
messages from friends and readers and fellow writers, which Astrid
and Karen printed out and read to him. He died knowing (and how!)
that he was loved and valued, and hearing how much his work had
entertained and moved so many. Though he was weak at the end, there
was no loss of mental capacity, and my last conversation with him was
slow but sparkling with the curiosity and deep-seated gentlemanliness
that Poul always had, and which was, I think, built into his whole
body and being.

He is survived by his wife and writing partner, Karen, his daughter
Astrid, brother John, grandchildren Erik and Alexandra, nieces Janet
and Cathy, and by millions of readers.

There will be a memorial, probably this Saturday, in the Bay Area,
details not yet worked out; I will send them later. This is the Poul
I will remember. And on our shelves, many dozens of books, waiting to
be re-read, and some more waiting to be published.

Bravo!

Greg Bear
--
#ken    P-)}