Color photos of Imperial Russia!

Eirikur Hallgrimsson eirikur1@mediaone.net
Sat, 11 Aug 2001 01:09:27 -0400

Here's something you don't see everyday.   Vivid color
photographs from Russia in the pre-revolutionary period!

At first I thought this was colorization of some kind applied to
the achive photos, but no, the images were exposed via color
filters and intended for color projection in the first place.

The immediacy and impact of these images is astounding.  I expect
to meet these people walking down the street.  It's interesting that
the process fails on poorly saturated (grayish) areas of the images,
notably the weathered wood on rustic buildings.

The image archive:

http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/empire/object.html

In particular, see these examples:

http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/empire/images/p87-4240.jpg