FoRK Street Journal

Wayne E Baisley wbaisley@enspherics.com
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 10:27:51 -0500

I opened my WSJ to the op-ed page today (in spite of Dan Kohn's warning
;-), and there was an article by Clay Shirky.  I don't know why 1) it's
a surprise to see a FoRKer published there or 2) it's such a tickle when
it happens, but there you are.  Interesting article on Priceline.  Focus
and GAAP.  You'll never 'sev ovah foety puhcent' on groceries.  That's
not a winning biz model, and they've finally figured that out.

One minor nit.  Much as we all might like to shake it on IndepenDANCE
Day, it's not spelled that way.  Similarly, the word is dependent, and
suffers a complete lack of 'a'.  (Thanks for the chance to 'pedance'!)

And speaking of groceries, the one thing wrong with summer is that the
bowls are too small.  But the time you get raspberries, blackberries (or
huckleberries in Red Lodge, MT), blueberries, plums, strawberries, and
nectarines in your fruit salad, there's hardly any room left for
bananas.

Cherries,
Wayne