Nondiscriminating charities

Kragen Sitaker kragen@pobox.com
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 18:48:38 -0400 (EDT)

John Hall writes:
> Although formed by the Quakers, I don't think the current [AFSC]
> organization has much in common with the Quakers at all.

Well, it has a lot of values and practices in common with them, such as
tolerance, and substantially more of the people I've known who work at
AFSC are Quakers than would be explained by random chance.

Their mission statement begins:

     The American Friends Service Committee is a practical expression
     of the faith of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers).
     Committed to the principles of nonviolence and justice, it seeks
     in its work and witness to draw on the transforming power of love,
     human and divine.

     We recognize that the leadings of the Spirit and the principles of
     truth found through Friends' experience and practice are not the
     exclusive possession of any group. Thus, the AFSC draws into its
     work people of many faiths and backgrounds who share the values
     that animate its life and who bring to it a rich variety of
     experiences and spiritual insights.

My limited experience with the AFSC and the Religious Society of
Friends bears these statements out as far as it goes.

Why do you not think the current organization has much in common with
the Quakers at all?

Perilous to all of us are the devices of an art deeper than we possess
ourselves.
       -- Gandalf the White [J.R.R. Tolkien, "The Two Towers", Bk 3, Ch. XI]