From comp.risks, the Warhol Worm (Worstcase scenario)

Mr. FoRK fork_list@hotmail.com
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 22:12:31 -0700

What kind of business model is that?
No VC would fund that kind of engineering effort.
Let's do a little lateral thinking and see what we can do to help.
First, realize that control of information is power. Power can be traded for
money.
Control information and you have a business model.
Let's say you write this blitzkreig worm - don't delete files, encrypt them.
Then charge a nominal fee for access.
In fact, you can market this as a Web Service - Automatically Protecting
Your Information While You Sleep (sm).
After initial market domination (about six or seven hours) you can offer
market specific variations:
 - Protecting Your Information From Your Government, While You Sleep!
 - Protecting Your Information From Other Governments, While You Sleep!
 - Protecting Your Information From The I.R.S., While You Sleep!
 - Protecting Your Information From Your Parents, While You Sleep!
 - Protecting Your Information From Your Spouse, While You Sleep!
Within a day or two, variations on pricing models can spawn a whole new
sub-industry of competing Web Services.
As a monthly subscription service, the revenue generation would certainly
outpace AOL and soon provide enough capital to establish yourselves as a
legitimate business.
You heard it here first...

M.F.