Comparing the "Economics" of REST and RPC

Lucas Gonze lucas@gonze.com
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 12:01:48 -0400

Let's say there were a series of 'active' spiders.  You'd go to Google and type
in a search.  The engine would then kick off a spider run of likely candidates.
Spidered sites might themselves kick off spidering runs of other sites.

This is obviously contortions to enable a peery way of thinking about the web.
Imagine webtella: Alice sends "GET /webtella/hosts/metallica.mp3" to Bob, Bob
sends the same thing to Carol, Carol returns an HTTP response with an entity
body containing her IP:port, Bob returns that HTTP response to Alice.  Alice
connects to that IP:port and issues "GET /files/metallica.mp3".

What I'm looking for are fundamental differences between these UI models, given
that the interface exposed to a spider can be considered a UI.