Comparing the "Economics" of REST and RPC

Roy T. Fielding fielding@ebuilt.com
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 13:28:58 -0700

> We're certainly moving towards XML for control representation in a big way.
>  I don't know of a significant or sincere alternative to SOAP et al.

Lemmings do that too.

> Does your REST work cover why you hold this belief?

No, REST is an architectural style -- it does not dictate protocol syntax.

I hold that belief because I spend a lot of time building real Internet
services that people depend on for business.  XML introduces hundreds of
hidden dependencies within an integrated system that can be seen when
you do performance profiles and protocol traces.  That can be managed
within an application context, but not within a transfer context.

....Roy